Many businesses will be hiring additional temporary employees to assist with the increase in business during the holiday season. It is estimated that 500,000 to 600,000 people will be hired in retail alone, although many other fields will also be hiring. Take a look at this list of industries that will be looking for helpers this season.
- Types of jobs available: Counter clerk/cashier, salesperson, stock person, cleaners
- Perfect for: Individuals with experience in sales, handling money, operating a cash register, dealing with customers, or cleaning.
- Location: Shopping malls, strip malls, discount stores, and large discount chains such as Target and Walmart.
- Types of jobs available: Server, food preparation, cleaning, managerial positions.
- Perfect for: Individuals with any sort of restaurant/food service, managerial, valet parking or cleaning experience.
- Locations: Local restaurants, catering and banquet companies, shopping malls, fast food restaurants.
- Types of jobs available: Driver, driver helpers, package handling, warehouse positions, clerical.
- Perfect for: Individuals with driving, warehouse or office experience. Many of these positions require heavy lifting.
- Locations: Shipping centers are located throughout the country.
Office Temp Jobs
- Types of jobs available: General office positions.
- Perfect for: Individuals with any sort of office experience, including typing, database management and answering business calls.
- Locations: Local business offices and national temp agencies such as Manpower, Snelling Staffing Services and Kelly Services have searchable temp job listings. You can also contact a local temp agency or search the help wanted ads in your local newspaper or on Craigslist.
- Types of jobs available: Security officer.
- Perfect for: Individuals with a military background or any sort of criminal justice experience or training.
- Locations: Private security firms.
- Types of jobs available: The Internal Revenue Service and state tax departments hire seasonal workers to help them through tax season.
- Perfect for: Individuals with office, clerical, or customer service experience.
- Locations: Local offices of the IRS. You can also visit the IRS website or contact your state’s tax department.
Hotels, Resorts, Rental Car and Travel-Related Industries
- Types of jobs available: Customer service, general office positions, cleaning, cooking, service staff.
- Perfect for: Individuals with customer service, cleaning, cooking, restaurant server, and general office experience.
- Locations: Hotels, resorts, and tourism-related business throughout the country.
- Types of jobs available: Call centers and at home-based call center services hire people to handle sales, technical assistance, and customer service calls.
- Perfect for: Individuals with telephone, customer service, sales, technical assistance, and general office experience.
- Locations: Call centers throughout the country and home-based call center services which hire online.
Join our conversation about seasonal jobs.